Contagion of Compassion Official Website

Visit our official website at www.contagionofcompassion.com

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

You Say Tomato

I read on Climb, Reach, Achieve Patrice's blog entry:  "What does it mean to be poor?"


She says, "We would think and say well, being poor is having no money, being hungry, being naked and homeless. Yes, that's one aspect but in actuality, being poor is much deeper than that. It is being unwanted, uncared for, unloved. See, poverty not only describes ones financial situation but one's situation as a whole. It is everyone's problem. It transcends every line you can think of; age, race, religion, geography. It doesn't care whether you are black, white, rich, middle-class...
Next time, before being quick to use the word "poor" to describe a financial state or situation, think about what being poor really is.  So care a little more, love a little more and share the wealth!"

I don't know that I agree.  



I think that being poor is being unwanted, uncared for and unloved by oneself.  The dictionary defines "poor" as lacking in material possessions but also as less than adequate or small in worth.  I have been that unwanted, uncared for and unloved person.  I spent years of my life trying to understand why no one loved me.  Until I discovered that the key lied within me, I was convinced there was some valid reason - some internal flaw - that the world could see and I could not that justified the lack of affection, kindness and compassion in my life.

I learned that my life had value by working on my relationship with myself.  

I've also lived in poverty.  Not having enough money to pay the bills and juggling payments to keep the utilities going and a roof over my head.  

Financial lack is an extention of the internal poverty we live within our minds.  There are a lot of internet marketers out there lately promoting products that address the concept that your thoughts create your reality.  I have been studying this concept for quite some time (about 20 years) and know that to a large extent, it's true.  But there is the element of divinity and that which is beyond our control - fate, kismet, karma.....

What I do know and wholeheartedly agree with is that you reap what you sow and the language we use has great impact - a ripple effect that reaches far beyond what we can see.  So I agree with Patrice - pay attention to what you are saying because the words you use can have a much deeper meaning than you may realize. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment