Contagion of Compassion Official Website

Visit our official website at www.contagionofcompassion.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In the Most Unlikely of Places

I sort of half-watched the VMAs yesterday and saw a moving display of compassion in the most unlikely of places - the celebrity scene. Mostly what is publicized is done so for the sensationalism of it all. But there before us, live before millions of people, Beyonce Knowles gave us all a source of inspiration for compassion.

If you haven't heard, and I'm sure most have, Kanye West interrupted Taylor Swift's moment by making a rude suggestion that she Beyonce should have won the award she was awarded. Here's where my half-watching comes into play. I don't really know what the award was for - best something or another. And I'm sure I could easily google it and get the answer using the "I'm feeling lucky" button. But the point here is that later on in the show, when Beyonce won for whatever category it was that she won for, with grace and compassion and love, she turned the spotlight to Taylor Swift. Beyonce gave her moment away to someone who was bruised by the thoughtlessness of another. Outstanding! Well done! What a classy lady!

And Kanye, well, he deserves a little compassion too. His mom died not too long ago and he's in a lot of pain. No excuse, but cause for compassion. Kanye, I extend to you my heartfelt sympathy. I understand your pain of losing someone so close to you, the finality of it, the ache to see them, hear them, hold them.

But to Beyonce, my respect and admiration. What a wonderful gesture. Thank you for your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment