Contagion of Compassion Official Website

Visit our official website at www.contagionofcompassion.com

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Week of October 4, 2009: Mystical Compassion

There is a surgance of paranormal shows popping up these days on television.  We seem to have a fascination with the spirit world and these shows tend to focus on the scientific evidence, the proof of hauntings and ghost activity.  As any "good" television show should, they focus on the shock value of visual and auditory evidence that ghosts exist.  The proof factor.

I may offend many an atheist or agnostic, but I can only discuss my core beliefs and my spiritual understanding.  I know to be true that when we "die" our spirit lives.  Our energy does not die.  It is freed of the shell it occupies, which deteriorates without it.  My conclusion is based on evidence both captured by my senses and understood on an intuitive level.  I respect the beliefs of others who may not agree, but my mind will not be changed.

On the Contagion of Compassion Blog this past week, I wrote about my experiences after my son's death.  I experienced his presence in many ways, most profoundly being the sensation of his energy in the room. 

When James was a little boy, him and I were walking down the street one day, talking, laughing, enjoying each other's company.  He spotted a penny on the ground and took a closer look.  He saw that the penny was laying on the ground with the "tail" side facing up and said that it was only good luck if you found a penny with the "heads" side facing up.  I said, "James, any time you find money on the ground it's good luck!"  He stopped, looked upward as if to suggest he was thinking about what I had just said, and replied, "Oh, yeah!  That's true!"  He promptly bent down and picked up the penny.

That conversation would have much deeper meaning for me immediately after he died.  I had left the funeral parlor in search of a particular issue of a particular magazine which featured James on the cover.  It turns out that magazine was a computer generated gift to honor James' musical ability but at the time, I was intent on finding it.  So I went store to store trying desperately to find it.  I arrived at one particular store and was stopped in my tracks by a display of dozens of pennies right outside the door on the sidewalk.  I could not
believe my eyes, there were so many pennies just laying there on the ground. 

Since that day, there have been many a time when I called out to James, letting him know that I miss him terribly and that this planet is a lonelier place without him.  He has answered my call with pennies on the ground.  Letting me know he's still available, still nearby, still caring about his mom.

My connection with James has helped my understanding of the spirit realm evolve.  I no longer fear this unknown.  I am curious and eager to better understand its nature.  One thing I am certain of is that when delving into the paranormal, caution is highly recommended.  I cringe at the irresponsibility and cavallier attitude of many of those who televise their ghostly investigations.  Spirits are not toys at our disposal to play with on whim and discard when unwanted. 

Over the weeks since I started this Contagion of Compassion, I have felt an enormous sense of something larger than my existence.  I call this feeling Mystical Compassion.  Mystical Compassion is increasing your spiritual awareness through the practice of more compassionate behaviors.  I've discussed before whether compassion is necessarily dependent on spirituality.  It's not.  But in my practice of compassion, I have a renewed sense of commitment to my spirituality.  I find myself engaged in discussions about the spirit world and articulating theories I am only newly discovering - such as the transition period after death (see What Lies Beyond?). 

This journey for me has been fascinating and welcomed with open arms.  I am honored to take you with me - to travel together on this quest for understanding and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment