Contagion of Compassion Official Website

Visit our official website at www.contagionofcompassion.com

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Compassion Soup

I was running an errand today as I do every Thursday.  And on my Thursday morning errand, I take my dogs.  At my destination, I usually take the dogs out on the grass that lies in front of the store.

I encountered a woman today who was in need of compassion.

She asked if my dogs were friendly and I thought she was referring to their friendliness with other dogs.  I have a black lab who, consistent with her breed, is extremely loving and friendly.  I also have a lab/sharpee rescue who had a really tough start in life.  She was about 9 months old when we got her and by that time, she had a litter and was terribly abused.  She therefore is not nearly as friendly as my lab but she is an angel nonetheless.  She is sweet, loving and stubborn.


Anyway, this woman had just put down her dog of 14 years and was still in that vulnerable state where the loss just can't be described.  I realized she was asking if they are friendly with people and for the most part, they are. 

We talked for a few minutes about dogs and I could see the tears well up in this woman's eyes.  I find that when dog parents get together, they hardly ever introduce themselves by name.  We tend to refer to one another as the parent of our dog(s).

She looked lovingly at my dogs and thanked me for coming over with my babies.  I didn't feel as though I "did" anything but apparently, whatever it was, it was enough to soothe her suffering if even just for a moment.

The unconditional love that dogs possess is compassion in its purest form.


No comments:

Post a Comment